Wednesday 24 April 2024

REVIEW - Homestead (Kindled #7) by Claire Kent

The Book
Release Date: 17 May 2024

After losing the last remaining member of my family, I'm left all alone in a dangerous, uncivilized world. A twenty-year-old woman with no skills, no resources, and no protection can't make it on her own after Impact, so I'm forced to rely on the charity of strangers to survive.

My one chance of safety and security comes from an unexpected offer. Jimmy Morgan needs a partner. He wants help in his house and a woman in his bed, and he'd like that partner to be me. In return I get a place to live, plenty of food, and the protection of a competent man and his larger community. It's a good deal, so of course I accept.

It means I have to live with a gruff, stoic man I barely know. All the new chores around the house are difficult enough, but they're not my biggest challenge. Because I'm now Jimmy's woman... whatever that means.

My Review    4 STARS
**My thanks to the author for providing me with a free copy for an honest review**

Chloe has been sheltered since before impact when she lived with her preper grandfather after he parents were killed in the rioting before the asteroid hit.  She has had heating, hot water and lots of canned food and only had to do light duties at home as her grandfather was very old fashioned.

However, when they are searching for food one day he is killed by outlaws, but she is saved by Jimmy.  He talks her back to his families homestead where she has to learn to do things in order to keep her place.

Chloe is a fairly strong character but never sees her worth and when Jimmy suggests that she might move in with him to help with his home she agrees.  But she believes that this is purely a transactional relationship with sex.

Jimmy has already lost his wife and is a fairly closed off person, but having Chloe around changes things.  Both grow closer together, Jimmy sees Chloe struggle, but she will say nothing of it and gang members end up threatening their happiness.

We get to see a little more of Cal, Rachel and Mack and a lead up to Mack and Anna's story. FINALLY.

This was a good book with lots of feels, some spice and a happy ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment