Sunday 26 June 2016

REVIEW - The First Rule of Swimming: A Novel by Courtney Angela Brkic

The Book
Release Date: 28 May 2013
Goodreads Link

"Courtney Brkic gracefully interweaves three generations of family stories and lies...all with authority and wisdom...An intimate portrayal of life in exile." ---O, the Oprah MagazineWhen free spirit Jadranka mysteriously disappears shortly after emigrating to America, her older sister Magdalena must leave their ancestral Croatian island home and follow her to New York City. Magdalena's search begins to unspool the dark history of their family, reaching back three generations to a country torn by war.

This haunting and sure-footed first novel explores the legacy of betrayal and loss in a place where beauty is fused with hardship, and where individuals are forced to make wrenching choices as they are swept up in the tides of history.

My Opinion  2 STARS
**My thanks to NetGalley and Little, Brown and Company for providing me with a free copy for an honest review**

This turned out to be a DNF for me.

There was just too much prose for me to handle, and to be honest i think originally it was the cover that drew me in first and i was a little hesitant about the description, hence why it has taken so long for me to get round to reading it.

BUT, that cover is very pretty.


No comments:

Post a Comment