Wednesday 4 March 2015

REVIEW - Calling California (Hunter Hill University #1) by J.P. Grider

The Book
Release Date: 20 May 2014
Goodreads Link

Cali Parker is poor. She has a lot on her plate - her father is dying, she's working to help pay the rent, and she's two-years behind in college.

Griffin Brooks is rich. He has not a care in the world - he's acing his engineering courses, his hobby is restoring his fifty-thousand dollar classic car, and he has a different girl on his arm every week.

When Cali sees Griffin on her first day of class, she's immediately smitten and thinks she's found the perfect guy. When Griffin sees Cali at the bank, he immediately forgets the blonde he was with that morning. Then they meet, and their worlds collide.

Cali doesn't belong in Griffin’s world, and he doesn't understand hers. But just when Griffin convinces Cali that their two different worlds can blend, a secret is revealed that tears them apart.

Is their love strong enough to bring them back together, or will their worlds drift further apart?

My Opinion  3 STARS
**My thanks to the author for providing me with a free copy for an honest review**

I REALLY struggled for the first 50% of this book to get into the story, mainly I think to do with the writers style of narration.

Lots of the plot I found I guessed really early on, so there were very little surprises, but it is only after the first 50% of the book had past that I found myself starting to enjoy the story.

I did however struggle with Cali's (Calista, California's) constant pushing away of Griffin, when all he ever does is show his support and his love to her.   To be honest it was quite annoying.

Griffin a rich boy very quickly shows us that Cali is different to him and treats her with the love of a man who doesn't think he deserves her but will do anything her can to make her life easier, but keeps her distain of money in the forefront and keeping her wishes catered to.

It is Griffin that finds out a massive secret and pushes it out into the open, only because he believes that Cali should be lied to no further.  Again he is always thinking of her and stays true to his feelings and helping her in any way he can, even if it means that he is cut off.

A good overall story when I eventually got into it, however I really did struggle to keep going initially.

No comments:

Post a Comment