Sunday 10 April 2022

REVIEW - A Beautiful Liar (Hades and Persephone #1) by Beena Khan


The Book
Release Date: 8 April 2022

I gave Hades a fake name at the club, and now, he's chosen me as his mate.

Once upon a myth...
I've always been sheltered by my overprotective mother, hence the nickname given to me by my tormentors. “The nun.” As a geeky scholarship student at the ancient and prestigious Saint Eudora Academy, I craved freedom, so, I sneaked out into the nightlife for the first time to mend my broken heart. There, I met a pair of alluring blue eyes and our worlds collided leaving nothing but destruction in its wake.

It was a single night, and we both wanted to forget someone. He said, I have six months before he returns. Six months to tell my old life goodbye. In my drunk state, I agreed, and he declared us as betrothed. The next morning, I ghosted him.

Imagine my surprise when I see him at my academy six months later. He's returned like a raging inferno to claim me.

The connection and recognition are still there. He was supposed to only be a myth. The man I meet now is different. He’s tortured, dark, and deadly like Hades. A sense of danger surrounds him, trapping me toward him. I don't know what he is capable of until a favor from the reaper and a chilling murder forces us to bond.

I fear the unknown ahead of me when I finally unmask him. I’m entangled in a web of secrets and lies where money and power rule in his dark world. He says he collects souls, and now he is here to take mine.

Valerius Vitalli will never let me go.

Loosely based on the myth of Hades & Persephone.

My Review  5 STARS
**My thanks to the author and Hidden Gems for providing me with a free copy for an honest review**

First of all I love this cover.  It really spoke to me and therefore I decided to read a book with a theme darker than I normally would.  This is the darkest theme book I have ever read.

There is lots of description in this retelling of Hades and Persephone of a world a lot darker than ours, of the mafia and a man who is obsessed with the woman he finds at the bar of the discotecq six months ago.  Annabella met Valerius while there with her best friend Cecilia, her friend who great all of the attention.  She is dumbfounded that Valerius sees her and actually want to talk to her instead of her friend.

A few tequilas later and 18 year old Bella goes home with 19 yr old Valerius and in her tipsy state agreed to be his fiancĂ© and to be his in six months when he returns for her, then they completed her v-card removal.

When he returns however, he is not quite the same man as before, now he is darker and and many more secrets, he is also angry that she gave him a false name.

Two souls call for each other, each balancing each other out, one dark and one full of light.  Although this book does not end on a cliff hangar, there is a mother book after this that tells the rest of their story and I cannot wait to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment