Sunday 17 August 2014

REVIEW - How I Got My Shrunken Head (Classic Goosebumps, #10) by R.L. Stine

The Book
Original Release Date: February 1999
Goodreads Link

No. 188 - The BIG Read

Discover the bone-chilling adventures that made Goosebumps one of the bestselling children's book series of all time. Now with all-new bonus materials!

What has two eyes, a mouth, and wrinkly green skin? Mark's shrunken head! It's a present from his Aunt Benna. A gift from the jungle island of Baladora.
And Mark can't wait to show the kids at school!
But late one night the head starts to glow. Because it's actually no ordinary head. It gives Mark a strange power. A magical power. A dangerous power...

It's our tenth fan-favorite prequel to R.L. Stine's blockbuster Goosebumps HorrorLand series. Now with all-new bonuses including an author interview, gross-out facts, and more!

My Opinion  2 STARS
I never read the Goosebumps books as a kid and had to pick one for The BIG reads challenge and thought that this one sounded good.

The chapters were only 3 to 5 pages long and the entire book was only 119 pages so it didn't take me very long to read as the text was quite large.

The story is told through the point of view of a twelve year old boy who has a fascination with all things jungle.  When someone comes to his house to take him to see his Aunt and gives him a shrunken head I did think "Really?"

The book was more like a very simple adventure mystery than a horror book, there was nothing scary about it at all.

The fact the the magic used is called 'Jungle Magic' seemed far too simple for me, and to be honest I was pretty much laughing through the book finding the whole story pretty funny.

Needless to say, as an adult, I will not be reading another Goosebumps book in a hurry.




1 comment:

  1. I used to read Goosebump books all the time. They were... let's just say they haunted my dreams. But nonetheless, I loved the tales and horror. But you're totally right because at this age, it just doesn't feel the same. Great review :D

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz
    www.thebooksbuzz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete