Wednesday 17 August 2022

REVIEW - Embers (Kindled #3) by Claire Kent


The Book
Release Date: 9 August 2022

I never thought I'd live through an apocalypse, but I guess no one ever does. Now my family's gone, and the only person who can keep me safe in a violent, chaotic world is my dead boyfriend's rough, uncivilized father. I don't like him. At all. Cal's the last person I want to rely on, but for now he's all I've got.

Eventually we become unconventional partners as we try to stay alive, but then my feelings for him start to change. I want more from Cal but maybe I shouldn't. I can't risk losing what matters most.

One thing I do know. In a world as broken as ours, everything gradually gets burned away. Everything but him.
 

My Review   5 STARS
**My thanks to the author for providing me with a free copy for an honest review**

I really loved this book.  The first half we get to see the set up of how Cal and Rachel met, hoe he is the father of her boyfriend who a year after the world changed is now sick.  Cal picks the pair up when he comes to check on them and takes them back to his place for safety, especially as he has learnt that Dereks mother has also now died.

A yerh later and Derek died six months ago and Rachel has had enough ad tries to run away, only to run into attackers, luckily Cal returns and managed to save her and drag her back to the shack that they share.

Add in more years and the pair find their relationship changing, but Cal still feels guilty as she is so much younger and she was her sons girlfriend, he does not want to take advantage of her.

Rachel always goes slow with Cal and knows when she cannot push, but she wants Cal.  

There is a lot of angst and Cal is the main problem, he always holds back a part of himself and when they meet a band of woman, Cals mind is made up and when they go to help at New Haven Farm, he leaves in the middle of the night without saying anything which devastates Rachel.

With time the pair meet up again after having gone through their own growth and learning.  But underneath it all the pair still want and love each other, When a mission goes awry, Cal finally decides to open up completely and asks for another chance to get Rachel what she wants and deserves.

It is nice to see Cal open all the way up and for the pair to forgive and become close again.  I would have loved for their to be more of an epilogue, but I certainly hope to see a little more of the characters in the next book with Mach and Anna.

I am certainly loving this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment